Monday, July 13, 2009

My Mini Vacay

The past two weeks have been a window of "opportunity leave" for our battalion. Since I took two weeks of leave in May when Malu was here and I intend to take some leave next month when he returns (and I've already confirmed that this is okay with my boss--he'd better keep his word!), I opted just to take a 4-day pass over the weekend. I didn't want to fly back home to Colorado Springs and I sure as heck wasn't going to drive, so I made it a point to stay busy the entire weekend. I'd previously read a magazine on El Paso and the surrounding areas and found some places of interest to visit! It's amazing how much you find when you actually take a moment to go and look. My first stop--Hueco Tanks State Historic Site. Hueco is Spanish for hollows and refers to the many water-holding depressions or pools that are found throughout the grounds, which are considered sacred to many Native Americans. The place is considered the premier spot for bouldering (which, I've learned, is rock climbing at heights low enough where ropes aren't necessary) and is inundated with hikers and climbers even on the hottest of El Paso days--which is precisely what Friday was. I had a guided tour of the grounds and it was quite a workout! If you're in the El Paso area and haven't checked this place out yet, you must! It's absolutely gorgeous. Those pools are full of interesting little creatures, the workout is awesome, and the view from the top is fantastic!

The first "hueco" I ran into. There were so many mosquitoes in there, I was eaten alive!

The guide was able to take a picture of me nestled into the rock...I had to hold on tight!

One of the bigger "huecos" that I ran into...and it was the highest one I'd reached

I climbed/hiked as high as I could go on that scorching hot morning. Scary!

Yesterday, my friend and co-worker, Jennifer, took me to her grandmother's church--the historic Ysleta Mission Church--for it's annual festival, complete with FOOD, live entertainment (including music and traditional dances), rides and other family fun events. I've noticed tons of church festivals around El Paso, but Jennifer insists this is the most popular as the Ysleta Mission Church is the most historic in the city. To learn more about the Ysleta Mission, click here. After sunset and the temperature cooled off, I had to agree that she was right. Flocks of people poured into the church area and the place was bumping--music and all--until the late evening. We got more than our fair share of festival food--roasted corn, gorditas, funnel cakes, aguas frescas--DELICIOUS! It was a blast. One of the highlights of my day and my new-found love....Jenn's son, Dominic. He is pictured below and is an absolute doll!

Our favorite part of the festival...the FOOD!

Children performing traditional dances in front of the Ysleta Mission Church

More Dancers

Love the Dresses!

This is the new love of my life--Jenn's son, Dominic

Lexi, Jenn, Jenn's Cousin and I at the Festival

Today, on the last day of my 4-day, I decided to take a short trip to Old Mesilla, New Mexico (see above), which is almost an hour west of El Paso. Mesilla, or "Little Tableland" is the most visited community in Southern New Mexico and is perhaps most well-known for hosting the trial of Billy the Kid, the infamous 19th century American Frontier outlaw. Many of the town's original, traditional adobe structures still stand today, although they have been restored and modified throughout the years due to technology and style. The charm and "hearty folk" qualities of the town, however, still remain. All my close family and friends know that I absolutely love old, historic towns and shopping for trinkets and souvenirs. Old Mesilla did not disappoint, as I left with a few bottles of locally produced wine and Mexican-style potteries.

Old Mesilla Village Square

Beautiful Handmade Rugs

The Building that Housed the Trial of Billy the Kid

A fountain in one of the town's most popular restaurants--love the tile designs!

Unfortunately, it is the end of my four-day mini vacation and I am absolutely dreading going to work. With our impending deployment, we are getting increasingly busy and within the next few weeks, we will go to the field and then head out to Fort Irwin to spend some time at the National Training Center. We will be there for the entire month of September. Thus, we will not be having any free time for a while. But it was fun while it lasted!

Just a request...on July 10, my father-in-law was admitted into the hospital in American Samoa for what all of us in the States thought was a heart attack. Instead, he experienced chest and back spasms and was sent to the hospital. He was said to have an aneurism and is currently functioning on one kidney. He is projected to be flown to Hawaii for surgery once his blood pressure decreases. I ask for your prayers for him and his entire family; especially Malu, who is still trying to get through the end of his deployment with all of this on his mind. Thanks to everyone for your continued love and support! Oh, and maybe my one-entry-a-week was a little bit over-zealous of me. Thanks to everyone who took the time to actually send me reminders. Even my co-worker, Amanda, was so kind enough to tell me that I was slacking...and didn't even know that she followed my blog! Craziness. I do thank her for the kick in the butt, though. I guess what I'm saying is....I'll blog when I can. I hope everyone has a blessed week!

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

I'm glad you got a little mini-vacay! El Paso looks really cool! Thanks for the mini-tour! :)
I will be praying for your father-in-law! I will continue to pray for Malu and you as you get ready for your deployment!
Good to hear from you!
P.S. Have you been baking at all? I'm sure you are so busy. I have no excuses, but I haven't been baking at all either! ooops! :)

Melissa said...

Looks like you had a very busy and fun vacation! I'll be praying for your father-in-law and hoping for a speedy recovery!


My photo
Welcome! I'm a thirty-something mom, Army Officer & Army Wife currently stationed in Germany with my Soldier and beautiful baby girl. I love baking, traveling, shopping, being with my family, and all things red and CHOCOLATE. The Army life is a crazy one and brings forth new challenges and experiences every day, but we are sustained by our faith as well as the love and support of our family and friends. Hope you enjoy following along on our adventures!



Better Together








4th of July (5) Airborne School (2) anna (2) anniversary (3) apron swap (2) Army (25) Army Wives (1) arts and crafts (1) asian pacific (1) Auntie Jewel (1) Austria (1) babies (1) baby (145) baby dedication (1) baby gifts (1) baby packing list (1) baby shower (9) baby stuff (1) bakeries (1) baking (1) barbecues (2) bavaria (1) beaches (1) BeautiControl (1) beer (2) beer festival (1) being sick (2) biking (1) birthday (7) black friday (1) blasts from the past (4) blog awards (8) blog design (1) Blog Hop (1) Blog Party (1) blog swaps (5) bloggy friends (3) books (2) breastfeeding (1) care packages (1) cars (1) castle (2) catching up (1) celebrity visits (1) Chester the Bulldog (7) chili cookoff (1) chocolate (5) Chrissy (6) Christmas (23) christmas card (1) Christmas Markets (5) church (2) citizenship (1) Colorado (2) Colorado Springs (3) cooking (2) cooking blog (2) corn maze (1) coyotes (1) crafts (1) crocs (1) D-Day (2) dance (2) dance class (2) date night (1) daycare (3) deployment challenges (1) deployments (4) diaper bag (1) doctor's visit (3) dogs (6) drink dispenser (1) Dual Military (3) easter (11) easter markets (6) easter tree (2) El Paso (3) england (1) euro (1) Europe (23) Europe Travel Flashbacks (1) fall (6) family (7) family visits (24) farewells (1) farmer's market (1) Fasching (2) father's day (2) favorites (1) festivals (5) Fil-Am (2) Fill In the Blank Friday (11) Finch Family (15) fireworks (1) first car (1) first week (1) Five Question Friday (2) flea market finds (1) Flip Flop Swap (5) Follow Me Chickadee Friday (2) followers (1) football (1) Fort Bliss (2) France (6) Friday Follow (8) Friday Photo Flashback (8) friends (34) friends' birthdays (1) fruehlingfest (2) fun with family (4) fun with friends (16) funny videos (6) Garden of the Gods (1) Garmisch (1) Germany (70) Getting to Know You Sundays (21) girl's weekend (1) giveaways (9) good friends (2) Grafenwoehr (3) grandma (2) grandpa jim (1) grow (1) growth (1) growth milestones (24) guilty pleasures (1) Hachi (1) Halloween (5) Hard Times (1) having fun (3) high chair (1) hobbies (1) holiday traditions (4) holidays (8) house (4) housing (1) Hunger Games (1) ice skating (1) Jack Johnson (1) jewelry (1) Jim Caviezel (2) jon and jolene (2) Josh and Kim (1) Joy (1) karate kid (1) Ladies Lunch (4) lady bugs (5) Lazy Sundays (1) learning (1) locked out (1) lodging (1) London (4) love (2) love of food (13) Lucy (15) ludwigsburg (1) Manitou Springs (1) mardi gras (1) masks ludwigsburg (1) McCrillis Family (1) Meilenwerk (1) Melody (1) melting pot (1) memorial day (4) memories (1) Mom (3) mom and dad (8) Mother's Day (2) motherhood (2) movies (6) moving (1) munich (1) music (3) new car (1) new year (3) Normandy (5) Notre Dame (1) nursery (2) Old Colorado City (1) old photos (2) olympic games (1) ornaments (1) osama bin laden (1) packages (2) palace (1) parties (2) Patch Barracks (3) PCS (3) picture-taking (2) pinterest (1) poems (1) poland (2) pottery (2) potty training (1) prague (2) praise (1) pregnancy (18) promotion (1) pumpkin patch (2) pumpkins (1) PX (2) races (1) random facts about me (19) randomness (8) reading (2) Real Housewives of NJ (1) recipes (5) Regensburg (3) reunions (1) Rittersport Chocolate Factory (1) roman baths (1) royal wedding (1) Salamasina (1) Salzburg (1) Samoa (3) santa (2) Saturdays (1) Schonbuch Brauhaus (2) school (1) shoes (1) shopping (1) shutterfly (1) sick days (2) sledding (1) sleepover (1) Soldiers (1) Spring (1) Spring Bazaar (2) springtime (2) stone henge (1) Strasbourg (4) Stuttgart (23) summer (3) summer fun (4) summer leave (1) Sundays (2) Sunshine Project (4) surveys (3) sweets (1) Ten on Thursday (1) Ten on Tuesday (14) Texas (5) thanksgiving (5) thanskgiving (1) Thursday Five (17) toddler talk (1) toys (3) travel (7) traveling (16) Tubingen (1) tuesday tag-along (1) Twilight (1) Utah (4) vacation (3) Vaihingen (2) Vaimalu (82) Vaiosina (132) Valentine's Day (1) venice festival (1) Volksfest (1) Waldenbuch (2) war (1) weekend (5) weekend fun (2) weekends (3) windsor castle (1) wine festival (4) winter (2) wordful wednesday (4) Wordless Wednesdays (10) work (11) workouts (1) year recap (1) zoo (3)

Blog Design By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Designs By Krista

I'm In The...


I'M A MIL SPOUSE!


MilitarySpouseBlogs

Learn German!

Either scripts and active content are not permitted to run or Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.0 or greater is not installed.

Get Adobe Flash Player
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved