Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Officially "Major A"


My promotion to Major was made effective on New Years Day; exactly six years since my promotion to Captain and just under 9 1/2 years from the time I was commissioned in the summer of 2001.  With the help of family friends who work at Fort Carson, my mom was able to throw together a promotion ceremony for me.  This morning, over 50 of our closest friends as well as my family members were there to witness it.  It was a beautiful ceremony.

After my parents, hubby, and daughter pinned on my new rank, I was asked to give my remarks.  I talked about how thankful I am to God, who has blessed me so abundantly and for placing me in a position to serve our Nation and its people in a job that I absolutely love.  I talked about how thankful I am to all of the NCOs and Soldiers who made me shine every day with their hard work, professional competence and selflessness.  I talked about how grateful I feel to have been groomed by some of the best leaders (Commissioned Officers) in the Army.  And I expressed how, most of all, I was thankful to my family--my parents, brother, sister, husband and daughter--whose love, guidance and support I could not have been without.

It's because of all of you that I have made it this far.  From the bottom of my heart--thank you!  Well, here's to another couple of years until I take another step up the ladder.  But how cool is it that I'm just about halfway done with my Army career?  Too cool.

Throughout my career thus far, people have always had a difficult time pronouncing my unusual last names.  My maiden name was "Ioapo" (pronounced "e-yo-ah-po").  So instead of saying my last name, most folks used to call me "Lieutenant I" or "Captain I".  When I got married, my name changed to another hard, Samoan last name, "A'etonu" (pronounced "ah-eh-tow-new"), which folks also had a difficult time pronouncing.  So, for the last few years, I've always been called "Captain A".  So effective today, it's "Major A".  Yikes, that'll take some time to get used to.

I'll leave you guys with a picture of my baby girl and I.  She'd worn the ACU outfit that one of our aunts bought for her. It says "Army Princess" on it.  That, she truly is.


Promotions are great.  They're awesome!  But, by far, one of my greatest achievements, aside from marrying my husband, was having this beautiful little girl.  I am truly blessed.

Whew!  This will be the last big family event here in Colorado Springs.  As a matter of fact, we have just under a week before we head out to Germany.  Oh my!

10 comments:

Kimberly said...

Congratulations Major A!!!

Tori Bella said...

Congratulations!!! You're a total bad ass chick - you know this right?

Tanya said...

Congratulations, Major!

Steph said...

Congratulations, Major A! Woo hoo!!

And Michelle, you look STUNNING in that last picture with Sina!!!

Allie said...

Major Congratulations! Heh heh. Keep flying up that career ladder! And good luck with the move (:

Mrs. C said...

Congratulations on your promotion! I love the outfit your daughter is wearing, so cute!

Anonymous said...

This is awesome news. Congratulations on your promotion to Major!

Seriously, you inspire me to keep going ahead with my next career move (going to OCS sometime in April) when friends, family, and acquaintances seem to be trying to discourage and talk me out of it at every turn. I know it can't be easy being a dual military couple, but your blog has really shown me that you can be a wife, a soldier and, most importantly, a mother all at the same time.

Congrats, again! Good luck with the big move!

More Than Words said...

That is so awesome, Michele!!!! Wow...Major!!

And your daughter is soooooo pretty! I just want to squeeze her cheeks!

Sabrina said...

Congratulations!!! What an exciting time! So happy for you!

Lindsey S said...

Congratulations on your promotion!! Baby V looks beautiful! She is getting so big!


My photo
Welcome! I'm a thirty-something mom, Army Officer & Army Wife currently stationed in Germany with my Soldier and beautiful baby girl. I love baking, traveling, shopping, being with my family, and all things red and CHOCOLATE. The Army life is a crazy one and brings forth new challenges and experiences every day, but we are sustained by our faith as well as the love and support of our family and friends. Hope you enjoy following along on our adventures!



Better Together








4th of July (5) Airborne School (2) anna (2) anniversary (3) apron swap (2) Army (25) Army Wives (1) arts and crafts (1) asian pacific (1) Auntie Jewel (1) Austria (1) babies (1) baby (145) baby dedication (1) baby gifts (1) baby packing list (1) baby shower (9) baby stuff (1) bakeries (1) baking (1) barbecues (2) bavaria (1) beaches (1) BeautiControl (1) beer (2) beer festival (1) being sick (2) biking (1) birthday (7) black friday (1) blasts from the past (4) blog awards (8) blog design (1) Blog Hop (1) Blog Party (1) blog swaps (5) bloggy friends (3) books (2) breastfeeding (1) care packages (1) cars (1) castle (2) catching up (1) celebrity visits (1) Chester the Bulldog (7) chili cookoff (1) chocolate (5) Chrissy (6) Christmas (23) christmas card (1) Christmas Markets (5) church (2) citizenship (1) Colorado (2) Colorado Springs (3) cooking (2) cooking blog (2) corn maze (1) coyotes (1) crafts (1) crocs (1) D-Day (2) dance (2) dance class (2) date night (1) daycare (3) deployment challenges (1) deployments (4) diaper bag (1) doctor's visit (3) dogs (6) drink dispenser (1) Dual Military (3) easter (11) easter markets (6) easter tree (2) El Paso (3) england (1) euro (1) Europe (23) Europe Travel Flashbacks (1) fall (6) family (7) family visits (24) farewells (1) farmer's market (1) Fasching (2) father's day (2) favorites (1) festivals (5) Fil-Am (2) Fill In the Blank Friday (11) Finch Family (15) fireworks (1) first car (1) first week (1) Five Question Friday (2) flea market finds (1) Flip Flop Swap (5) Follow Me Chickadee Friday (2) followers (1) football (1) Fort Bliss (2) France (6) Friday Follow (8) Friday Photo Flashback (8) friends (34) friends' birthdays (1) fruehlingfest (2) fun with family (4) fun with friends (16) funny videos (6) Garden of the Gods (1) Garmisch (1) Germany (70) Getting to Know You Sundays (21) girl's weekend (1) giveaways (9) good friends (2) Grafenwoehr (3) grandma (2) grandpa jim (1) grow (1) growth (1) growth milestones (24) guilty pleasures (1) Hachi (1) Halloween (5) Hard Times (1) having fun (3) high chair (1) hobbies (1) holiday traditions (4) holidays (8) house (4) housing (1) Hunger Games (1) ice skating (1) Jack Johnson (1) jewelry (1) Jim Caviezel (2) jon and jolene (2) Josh and Kim (1) Joy (1) karate kid (1) Ladies Lunch (4) lady bugs (5) Lazy Sundays (1) learning (1) locked out (1) lodging (1) London (4) love (2) love of food (13) Lucy (15) ludwigsburg (1) Manitou Springs (1) mardi gras (1) masks ludwigsburg (1) McCrillis Family (1) Meilenwerk (1) Melody (1) melting pot (1) memorial day (4) memories (1) Mom (3) mom and dad (8) Mother's Day (2) motherhood (2) movies (6) moving (1) munich (1) music (3) new car (1) new year (3) Normandy (5) Notre Dame (1) nursery (2) Old Colorado City (1) old photos (2) olympic games (1) ornaments (1) osama bin laden (1) packages (2) palace (1) parties (2) Patch Barracks (3) PCS (3) picture-taking (2) pinterest (1) poems (1) poland (2) pottery (2) potty training (1) prague (2) praise (1) pregnancy (18) promotion (1) pumpkin patch (2) pumpkins (1) PX (2) races (1) random facts about me (19) randomness (8) reading (2) Real Housewives of NJ (1) recipes (5) Regensburg (3) reunions (1) Rittersport Chocolate Factory (1) roman baths (1) royal wedding (1) Salamasina (1) Salzburg (1) Samoa (3) santa (2) Saturdays (1) Schonbuch Brauhaus (2) school (1) shoes (1) shopping (1) shutterfly (1) sick days (2) sledding (1) sleepover (1) Soldiers (1) Spring (1) Spring Bazaar (2) springtime (2) stone henge (1) Strasbourg (4) Stuttgart (23) summer (3) summer fun (4) summer leave (1) Sundays (2) Sunshine Project (4) surveys (3) sweets (1) Ten on Thursday (1) Ten on Tuesday (14) Texas (5) thanksgiving (5) thanskgiving (1) Thursday Five (17) toddler talk (1) toys (3) travel (7) traveling (16) Tubingen (1) tuesday tag-along (1) Twilight (1) Utah (4) vacation (3) Vaihingen (2) Vaimalu (82) Vaiosina (132) Valentine's Day (1) venice festival (1) Volksfest (1) Waldenbuch (2) war (1) weekend (5) weekend fun (2) weekends (3) windsor castle (1) wine festival (4) winter (2) wordful wednesday (4) Wordless Wednesdays (10) work (11) workouts (1) year recap (1) zoo (3)

Blog Design By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Designs By Krista

I'm In The...


I'M A MIL SPOUSE!


MilitarySpouseBlogs

Learn German!

Either scripts and active content are not permitted to run or Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.0 or greater is not installed.

Get Adobe Flash Player
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved