Last Friday, we took the Finch Family to the Stuttgart Christmas Market since Malu and I had such a blast the first time we went. We had a slight hiccup that morning. We were actually supposed to take the train to Strasbourg, but it didn't quite work out. For our large party, it was going to cost us almost $500 to take the intercity train all the way down there. Heck no...not for a two-hour drive that would only cost us almost a full tank of gas. So, since we were in downtown Stuttgart anyway, we settled for going to the Christmas market just a short walk from the train station. How convenient! Strasbourg was going to have to wait another day.
The problem with going to the Christmas market on a Saturday? The crowds. I mean, it was hella crowded. But not crowded enough to ruin the afternoon/evening. We had such a great time. We actually stayed out until the late evening, which either family normally doesn't do because of the babies and their bedtimes, the hassle of it all, etc. But we braved it anyway and it was totally worth it. Because I took so many pictures...I had to narrow them down to a few that I thought everyone would enjoy.
It was rather chilly that day, but it was perfect because there was no rain!!! Anyway, we immediately set out to look for some gluhwein and to start collecting our gluhwein cups. Every place has a different kind of cup or mug and we probably picked up about 3 or 4 that day. What's nice is you pay a deposit on the cups when you buy the drink. If you choose not to keep the cup, you just turn it in and get your deposit back. It's the same with some of the dishes that your food gets served in. I actually walked around with a dish full of spaetzle (noodles) at one point. People looked at me weird, but hey, I paid a deposit and turned it in when I was done! We did some shopping, some munching, and--to be honest--a lot of gluhwein-ing.
And we all actually learned to say Merry Christmas in German that day. Frohe Weihnachten!
And we all actually learned to say Merry Christmas in German that day. Frohe Weihnachten!
Madisen, the cute 4-year old belonging to Team Finch, is absolutely adorable. She loves getting piggy back rides from Malu. They posed in front of the life-size nutcracker. The German Pyramid Windmills are a mainstay during the holidays, or you can see them year round at a local Kathe Wohlfahrt store. This is a giant version of the windmill perched atop a Kathe Wohlfahrt kiosk at the Christmas market. There, you can purchase miniature ones. They are so ornate and intricately decorated. Heat from candles at the base turn the windmill at the top. I'll be buying one of these before I leave Germany...for sure!
At night, everything is lit and you just ooh and aah at the splendor of it all. One of the best parts of the evening was listening to a live choir inside the Altes Schloss (or Old Palace).
We stood amidst a large crowd in that palace and people around us were dancing and singing joyfully with the choir. It was especially fun when we sang Jingle Bells. The other best part of the evening was ice skating with Madisen. Yup...there was an ice skating rink out there. I hadn't been on the ice in..well...ages. And Madisen chose me to take her skating. Needless to say, I had to call for backup. I snapped a cute picture of Madisen and her mama, Mattie. Easy peasy for Mattie...she "skated" in her normal shoes!
We decided to go and warm up at a restaurant and have some dinner. The pick? Sushi! I also hadn't had sushi for ages until then. It was dee-licious! While we were there, I was able to take a picture of little Mackinley, the newest addition to Team Finch at 7 weeks old. What a cutie. And there's Malu and Madisen with our yummy sushi!
We decided to go and warm up at a restaurant and have some dinner. The pick? Sushi! I also hadn't had sushi for ages until then. It was dee-licious! While we were there, I was able to take a picture of little Mackinley, the newest addition to Team Finch at 7 weeks old. What a cutie. And there's Malu and Madisen with our yummy sushi!
One thing was for sure...we were all exhausted when we got home. It's not easy being out all day and carting around three kids. Still, we got our rest and headed out to Strasbourg the next morning. I promise...I'll be telling you guys about that too!
In the morning, Malu, Sina and I will be heading out to link up with Team Finch in their neck of the woods. Yup, we'll be spending Christmas weekend with them. Guess we just can't get enough of those guys!
Please keep us in mind as we travel on the roads. And everyone enjoy your Friday!










1 comment:
what a fun Christmas trip...yall be safe and have fun! Great pictures, you guys sure have some great friends :)
Post a Comment