I've been looking for some kind of crafty project to get started on. Something for the house. At the same time, I've been looking for a desk for Malu. We have an armoire-type desk already, but he doesn't like it. It's more my style. He wants something simple, no drawers or file cabinets necessary, and something that gives him a lot of leg space. Well, yesterday I saw the perfect table outside our thrift store. It looked like this:
It was actually a small dining table that was the perfect size for a desk. I really wanted it. The thing was, at the time, the thrift store was closed. The table was sitting outside the store with all the other donated items. Most of the time that I see stuff I want outside the store, the store is always closed. And I make it a point to get there the next day right when it opens, even if it's during work, to see if I can buy it. But every time I do this, someone's already taken the piece I want sometime during the day or overnight. And that's what happened to me again today. I was ticked off. I mean, I already made up my mind to paint that sucker red and to find coordinating accessories as well as a nice chair to go with it. Fan-freakin'-tastic.
This is just straigt GHETTO with a capital "G". There is a sign in the donation area that says that taking from that area constitutes theft because once it's left there, it's considered thrift store property. I always respect that no matter how many items catch my eye (and let me tell you, this thrift store really gets good stuff!) because sheesh, stealing is a crime (I'd rather die than sacrifice my career over used goods) and it's just common decency people!
So there went both the desk I wanted for Malu and as well my crafty project. The upside is that there is a huge flea market on post this weekend (and I've signed up for a booth!), so maybe I can find something there. And, once I got over the table being taken outside the store and from me, I thought that maybe a family that truly needed a dining room table got it and are putting it to good use. I hope that is truly the case.
In other news, this week is really flying by and I'm so thankful for it. There's tons going on, and I'm not talking just at work...
- Malu is busy with school and his new unit in addition to being a super dad to Sina! He's acing all of his classes and instantly became an asset to his unit over the weekend. He even aced his PT test (he always does that anyway). Sina and I are so proud!
- We have to get our stuff ready to sell for this weekend's flea market.
- Next weekend is Memorial Day weekend and we'll be spending it with friends in Normandy!
- We have to pack for that trip.
- His unit's dining out is on 4 June. He has to get some dress blues. It'll be our first one together. I get to wear a dress!
- I need to find a dress. And stat.
- The Stuttgart Army Ball is on 11 June. I have to fix my dress blues.
- We have to find babysitters for both events. If not, we can't go!
- We still have some cleaning and organizing to do in the house.
- Sina's birthday is coming up in August. Trying to figure out what to do with that.
- I have to find tickets for my parents to fly out for Sina's birthday.
- We have to get our dog, Lucy out here too.
AND...
In the midst of this chaos, Sina took 1.5 steps unassisted last night. When she did, she looked up at Malu and I, smiled that big, gummy, adorable smile of hers and clapped vigorously. She knew she did something fantastic! We're so proud of her. We almost have a walker on our hands!
And that's it for now you guys! Until next time...Happy Wednesday...and ciao!








2 comments:
oh man sorry about the table! i hope you'll be able to find something like it...
What a bummer that you couldn't get that table. Hopefully you find something even better at the flea market! And congrats to Sina for taking her first steps! Now you won't be able to slow her down!
Post a Comment