One of my favorite blogs is called
Mischief by Misty, a friend that I met through another friend, Liz. However, this blog is about my parents' dog named Misty--a year-old Australian Shepherd Mix (or so we were told) who is adorable, but quite mischievous from time to time. I actually call her Mischief every once in a while--she's just that rambunctious, but what else can you expect from a puppy, right? Anyway, this morning at around 7:00-ish, my mom calls me in a panic about something being wrong with Misty. For whatever reason, she
.JPG)
couldn't walk on her hind legs. Mom starts bawling over the phone, insisting that I drive over to help assess the situation, as if I had any pertinent solutions to render. I took one look at Lucy and said, "we have to see what's wrong with your sister!" and she got all excited and ready to go. Without hesitation, we bolted out the door--me, haphazardly dressed (I didn't even make time to brush my teeth or my hair--gross!) even though I had to open mom's office in a little over an hour. When we arrived, the scene was quite depressing. My sister, grandma, brother and mom (in tears) sat in a circle around Misty trying to motivate her to stand up. I kinda sensed that she was still okay. She was very much alert and her tail was wagging in its usual wild manner, only she couldn't make her way over to me. Everyone suspected that it might have been the medicine she consumed last night (somehow she'd gotten her paws on grandma's medicine bottle), but I argued that she would've at least been unconscious or seizing or something. Whatever, my brother carried her to my car and he, my mom and I headed out to the vet. When Jon tried to carry her out of the car in front of the vet's office, Misty didn't want any of it. Instead, she comes out of the back of the car herself and proceeds to walk around the parking lot! By this time, mom was already inside the vet's office and I went in and yelled out to her that Misty was walking. She came out, and the three of us just started cracking up laughing at the poor doggie. She was still limping though and after further examination it was deemed that Misty was suffering from a pulled muscle and sentenced to three days confinement and pain medications. This is not surprising considering Misty is just a bundle of energy and can't seem to ever keep still! So there you have it! All kinds of emotions running rampant in the Ioapo Family this fine Tuesday morning! The things we do for our dogs! But really, these furry things are like our children and I'm sure you dog owners out there truly understand. Shoot, I have pet insurance for Lucy because of things like this! Anyway, now I'm sitting at mom's office hoping customers won't come in to see me like this, looking like I just rolled out of bed (which I basically did). I had to come here directly from the vet's office! I hope you guys had a good laugh. Have a wonderful Tuesday!
4 comments:
Ack! I'm glad she's okay! They sure do like to give us heart attacks sometimes.
Our family dog had a similar thing happen once. He wouldn't walk and my dad was out of town, so we tried to carry him in a blanket like a hammock to get to the vet, but it didn't work. Liz's brother Doug was in town and he came over, carried all 80+ lbs. of dog downstairs to the car, and up the stairs at the vet. Once we got in Phantom stood up, happy as can be since he loves the vet. Poor Doug! It turns out Phantom was very sick though, but he pulled through and turns 15 on Halloween!
The same thing happened to Foster this past summer when we were in Arkansas. It took him about 2 weeks to completely recover. I have to say, it was funny watching him on pain medication. :) He couldn't even hike his leg without falling over. Poor Foster.
That's pretty scary! I'm glad she ended up being alright, but way to give everyone a heart attack, Misty!
You guys and your dogs... but who am I to talk, I'm the cheapest person ever and I spent over $200 bailing our dogs out of doggie-jail when we first moved in here.
Post a Comment