Monday, October 6, 2008

Weekend Recap & Week Ahead


Wow, I feel like I haven't had a moment of peace in a while...and I feel like it's only going to get more busy in the days ahead! My friend Vickie came in for the weekend. She's actually still here, but rotating between my house and those of some family friends that live in the area. Vickie and I went to college together at Fort Collins and we both commissioned into the Army, only she's two years younger than I am. So much has changed throughout the years...we're now both married and have made our way around the globe thanks to our jobs. She brought her mom with her and we've been able to spend some quality time together. On Saturday, she and her mom were able to show us how to make some of my favorite, authentic Korean dishes. We made kalbi (barbecued short ribs) and jap chae (this is a noodle dish--spelling???) and they were delicious. As you can see in these pictures, we definitely got our hands dirty!
Here are a few pictures of us marinating some beef and pork. And just so you know, I'd post all of these pictures on my cooking blog if I was able to get a definitive recipe. As with my mom and my grandma, their recipes are all stored in their brains....and I cannot work with measurements such as "a little bit of this", "a little bit of that", "a couple drops of...", or "just a swig of this". I mean, HELLO! If you ask me, it's a conspiracy and they're hiding little tidbits of recipe information so that people can't say you made the dish better than mom, or grandma, or whomever!



What was also cool about that day was that our mutual friend (more Vickie's friend--they were roommates in college--but we all used to hang out together), Nicole, drove down from Fort Collins (about two hours away) to spend some time with us. She now has a son, Logan, who is 2 (I believe) and is still as beautiful as I remember her. Here's a picture of the three of us. Vickie and I--well, let's face it...we look rough. But hey, we were cooking all afternoon and Nicole took off right after that picture was taken. We had to get at least one group picture!

So all in all, it was a pretty eventful weekend. Vickie doesn't leave until the 9th, but since Malu is coming in on Wednesday, she'll be staying with her other family friends until she departs. We'll be closer in a few months since I'll be moving to Texas. Actually, we'll be the same distance apart then that we are now since Texas is so stinkin' huge and El Paso is like eons away from San Antonio which, according to Vickie, is paradise on earth.

Did I mention that Malu is coming in this week? Yeah, I did! He'll be spending the four-day weekend here and I am so thrilled. But it'll sure making studying for finals really difficult. I have two--one on Wednesday and one on Thursday. I'll probably fail since the guy can be such a distraction! We're all so excited to have him back, even for a short time. My mom says that she doesn't want to see us at all while he's here. She (and my grandma) are expecting us to be "making babies", as they put it. They're so funny. But it would be super nice if it really happened!

Well, it's well past midnight. Almost 1:00 in fact and I'm so tired. I've got to hit the ground running tomorrow. I have an early morning appointment, studying to do, as well as a presentation in my finance class in the evening. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! I agree with you that there must be a conspiracy with the older generation not to give away their recipes. My Grandma makes some of the best dishes but I can never get a recipe from her! I think she must think that if she gives me the recipe it's not as special when she makes it for me. Oh well...

So happy for you that Malu is coming into town. Enjoy it!! And good luck on the exams!

Misty said...

That's the way a lot of my cooking is unless I'm specifically following a recipe. The thing is, I don't remember exactly what I did so its hard to replicate whatever I made.

By the way, have you seen Kitchen Wench's blog? She has some great Korean recipes including bulgogi, japchae, various banchan, and she takes wonderful photos. Check her out: http://www.insanitytheory.net/kitchenwench/

Liz and Kurt said...

I'm excited for you that you get to see Malu. Kurt is just getting ready to leave (for only two months) but I already want him to come back. Being apart so much makes you appreciate any sort of time together. Oh, and don't let your mom down, Jon needs a little girlfriend to hang out with.

Jewel said...

Hey...love your new look as well. Thanks for supporting my church decision. Someone else made a comment about my post on her blog and totally judged my decision to give my kids a good foundation in the bible. Made me feel badly cause she claims to be my friend. Oh well, too each his own. Love and miss you!


My photo
Welcome! I'm a thirty-something mom, Army Officer & Army Wife currently stationed in Germany with my Soldier and beautiful baby girl. I love baking, traveling, shopping, being with my family, and all things red and CHOCOLATE. The Army life is a crazy one and brings forth new challenges and experiences every day, but we are sustained by our faith as well as the love and support of our family and friends. Hope you enjoy following along on our adventures!



Better Together








4th of July (5) Airborne School (2) anna (2) anniversary (3) apron swap (2) Army (25) Army Wives (1) arts and crafts (1) asian pacific (1) Auntie Jewel (1) Austria (1) babies (1) baby (145) baby dedication (1) baby gifts (1) baby packing list (1) baby shower (9) baby stuff (1) bakeries (1) baking (1) barbecues (2) bavaria (1) beaches (1) BeautiControl (1) beer (2) beer festival (1) being sick (2) biking (1) birthday (7) black friday (1) blasts from the past (4) blog awards (8) blog design (1) Blog Hop (1) Blog Party (1) blog swaps (5) bloggy friends (3) books (2) breastfeeding (1) care packages (1) cars (1) castle (2) catching up (1) celebrity visits (1) Chester the Bulldog (7) chili cookoff (1) chocolate (5) Chrissy (6) Christmas (23) christmas card (1) Christmas Markets (5) church (2) citizenship (1) Colorado (2) Colorado Springs (3) cooking (2) cooking blog (2) corn maze (1) coyotes (1) crafts (1) crocs (1) D-Day (2) dance (2) dance class (2) date night (1) daycare (3) deployment challenges (1) deployments (4) diaper bag (1) doctor's visit (3) dogs (6) drink dispenser (1) Dual Military (3) easter (11) easter markets (6) easter tree (2) El Paso (3) england (1) euro (1) Europe (23) Europe Travel Flashbacks (1) fall (6) family (7) family visits (24) farewells (1) farmer's market (1) Fasching (2) father's day (2) favorites (1) festivals (5) Fil-Am (2) Fill In the Blank Friday (11) Finch Family (15) fireworks (1) first car (1) first week (1) Five Question Friday (2) flea market finds (1) Flip Flop Swap (5) Follow Me Chickadee Friday (2) followers (1) football (1) Fort Bliss (2) France (6) Friday Follow (8) Friday Photo Flashback (8) friends (34) friends' birthdays (1) fruehlingfest (2) fun with family (4) fun with friends (16) funny videos (6) Garden of the Gods (1) Garmisch (1) Germany (70) Getting to Know You Sundays (21) girl's weekend (1) giveaways (9) good friends (2) Grafenwoehr (3) grandma (2) grandpa jim (1) grow (1) growth (1) growth milestones (24) guilty pleasures (1) Hachi (1) Halloween (5) Hard Times (1) having fun (3) high chair (1) hobbies (1) holiday traditions (4) holidays (8) house (4) housing (1) Hunger Games (1) ice skating (1) Jack Johnson (1) jewelry (1) Jim Caviezel (2) jon and jolene (2) Josh and Kim (1) Joy (1) karate kid (1) Ladies Lunch (4) lady bugs (5) Lazy Sundays (1) learning (1) locked out (1) lodging (1) London (4) love (2) love of food (13) Lucy (15) ludwigsburg (1) Manitou Springs (1) mardi gras (1) masks ludwigsburg (1) McCrillis Family (1) Meilenwerk (1) Melody (1) melting pot (1) memorial day (4) memories (1) Mom (3) mom and dad (8) Mother's Day (2) motherhood (2) movies (6) moving (1) munich (1) music (3) new car (1) new year (3) Normandy (5) Notre Dame (1) nursery (2) Old Colorado City (1) old photos (2) olympic games (1) ornaments (1) osama bin laden (1) packages (2) palace (1) parties (2) Patch Barracks (3) PCS (3) picture-taking (2) pinterest (1) poems (1) poland (2) pottery (2) potty training (1) prague (2) praise (1) pregnancy (18) promotion (1) pumpkin patch (2) pumpkins (1) PX (2) races (1) random facts about me (19) randomness (8) reading (2) Real Housewives of NJ (1) recipes (5) Regensburg (3) reunions (1) Rittersport Chocolate Factory (1) roman baths (1) royal wedding (1) Salamasina (1) Salzburg (1) Samoa (3) santa (2) Saturdays (1) Schonbuch Brauhaus (2) school (1) shoes (1) shopping (1) shutterfly (1) sick days (2) sledding (1) sleepover (1) Soldiers (1) Spring (1) Spring Bazaar (2) springtime (2) stone henge (1) Strasbourg (4) Stuttgart (23) summer (3) summer fun (4) summer leave (1) Sundays (2) Sunshine Project (4) surveys (3) sweets (1) Ten on Thursday (1) Ten on Tuesday (14) Texas (5) thanksgiving (5) thanskgiving (1) Thursday Five (17) toddler talk (1) toys (3) travel (7) traveling (16) Tubingen (1) tuesday tag-along (1) Twilight (1) Utah (4) vacation (3) Vaihingen (2) Vaimalu (82) Vaiosina (132) Valentine's Day (1) venice festival (1) Volksfest (1) Waldenbuch (2) war (1) weekend (5) weekend fun (2) weekends (3) windsor castle (1) wine festival (4) winter (2) wordful wednesday (4) Wordless Wednesdays (10) work (11) workouts (1) year recap (1) zoo (3)

Blog Design By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Designs By Krista

I'm In The...


I'M A MIL SPOUSE!


MilitarySpouseBlogs

Learn German!

Either scripts and active content are not permitted to run or Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.0 or greater is not installed.

Get Adobe Flash Player
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved