Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tag: Random Facts

My friend, Liz, tagged me to list 6 random facts about myself and to subsequently tag a few other bloggers to do the same. Before I list my random facts, let me tell you a little bit about Liz (she's the pretty lady to the left of me in the picture--this OLD picture, by the way)! She and I have been friends since, gosh, March 2004. We were stationed together at Fort Bragg, North Carolina and she actually replaced me as the Adjutant (for my civilian friends--Human Resources Officer) for the Air Traffic Control Battalion we were assigned to at the time. Fortunately, it wasn't because I got fired, but transferred to another job. Thankfully, I only moved up the street because we were able to remain friends through my other close friends (i.e. Chrissy, the other girl in the photo, and my other best buds, Jocelyn and Melody).

Anyway, let me just say that the moment I met Liz, I thought she was gorgeous. And she has such a wonderful personality and, if I may say so, is very intelligent and talented. Would you believe me if I told you she's a pilot? Well, she is. Too cool, huh? Her husband is also an Army pilot and they have two beautiful children. Liz is participating in the Army's grad school program, like me, only she's at the infamous University of Southern California (whose football team my husband LOVES!) and is enjoying her time close to her family and friends there.

Okay, so this list was difficult to compile. Unlike Liz and Misty (who was also tagged by Liz to do this) I lack all creativity in writing and coming up with cool stuff to say, so bear with me:

1) When I was young, my family and I did TONS of traveling, mostly across the United States. We were a military family, so we moved a lot and when we did we drove from post to post. Until we got an SUV (when we were in our teens) we all crammed into our Oldsmobile sedan and literally traveled from one side of the nation to the other that way. We've been or driven through mostly every state in the continental United States with the exception of some northernmost states like North and South Dakota, Alaska, and Rhode Island. We've driven from California to New York TWICE and back and forth between New York and Florida a few times. We've also done New York to California by way of Texas. Don't ask. We've just been to a lot of places and have tons of pictures to prove it! We also amassed a substantial collection of state pennants, which are totally lost in the sauce somewhere at my folks house; if they're even there at all!

2) When I was about 10 or 11 and living in Hawaii, I almost died from an allergic reaction to the wheat germ that was present in a stack of wheat pancakes that my Uncle Ronald whipped up one evening. Tripler Hospital was a long ways from my grandparents' house, where we lived at the time and I could barely breathe by the time we got there. My nasal passages had swollen up. As a matter of fact, I had severe allergies growing up. I had a massive allergy attack at a high school track meet in Upstate New York, apparently from the high concentration of pollen in the area. I had to be rushed a long ways to the hospital on post. My friend Melissa can ask her mom about the whole incident because she was the one that drove me to the hospital. Anyone who has ever seen me during or after an allergy attack knows how horrible I look. My entire face (mostly the eyes) swell shut and I can barely breathe. Among my pollen and wheat germ allergies, a test revealed that I was allergic to seafood (but not anymore, thank God), dust, cats, cockroaches (huh?), down feathers, and NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen--I still am allergic).

3) When I was 2, I fell off the front porch stairs in Germany, riding on one of those kiddie rollers. I was following my mom out the door when I did this. I busted my front two teeth and it wasn't until late in my sophomore year of high school that my mom decided to let me get my teeth bonded. Thank goodness. Before that, my front teeth were a mess. I couldn't even whistle (still can't). So yeah, they're fake. But don't they make me look like I had braces?
4) The first and only thing I've ever stolen was a pack of gum out of the AAFES store at the Hale Koa Hotel in Waikiki when I was about 5 years old. Talk about embarassing! My mom ended up buying the pack of gum for me anyway. Talk about spoiled!
5) In middle school (Carthage Middle School), I won the Spelling Bee for the school for the two years I was there and ended up going to the regional spelling bee one year. I was eliminated for the word "pedagogist". Yeah, looks easy, but it didn't sound easy! To this day, I'm still anal about spelling and constantly correct people who can't spell!

6) I am six years older than my husband, although I have to admit that he acts six years older than I do. Sad, but true. He's younger than my younger brother. Shoot, his older sister is still younger than my younger brother. When I graduated from high school, he was just leaving elementary school! Need I say more? But the last time he came home (when he surprised me by flying in early for the weekend), he flew into Denver which is about two hours away from where we live. I had class that evening, so I couldn't pick him up. So I said, "why don't you just rent a car and drive home?" and he says, "hello...I'm not 25 yet, duh!" My friend and I got a good laugh out of that. Turns out that he could rent a car after all (and did), but had to pay an additional fee for being under 25. Funny.
Okay, that's it! Hopefully you all made it through this long post. I now tag Melissa and Sara to post some random facts!!! Have fun!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh, I still have to pass on the award you gave me. I'm behind, but I'll catch up sooner or later!

I remember when you had that allergy attack at our track meet. That was scary!!

Mari said...

I love reading your blog, and your husband has been in my prayers, but I have to correct you on two things.

1. Don't let Liz food you, she may seem intelligent, but she once tried to boil water and caught the pot on fire.

2. She's beautiful now, but in high school she wore a trucker hat every single day. And that was when they weren't cool.

:)

-Liz's sister.

Misty said...

I agree with Mari. Our dear Lizzy-poo is certainly a chameleon. She's scary smart, and a complete blond. And I have picture evidence of the hat phase. But she is awesome too.

That's scary about the allergies. I guess I won't be sending you that pet Madagascar hissing cockroach I was planning. :)

I took advantage of that car rental premium rule to make my husband do all the driving the first time we went to Maui. It was great!

Liz and Kurt said...

Hey! I'm not THAT blonde... well, Michelle doesn't know the story about when I was on a cruise with a friend and her parents (i was in 2nd grade at the time) and my friend and I decided that we would spin these revolving doors as fast as we could and then try to run through them. I think we had watched too many cartoons to think we could really do this. I went first and was running head first at these spinning doors. My head ended up getting smashed between the door and the wall and the door actually went from spinning really fast to the left, to bouncing off my head, and then spinning to the right. I remember it hurting, but I didn't really cry, I was too shocked.

Your story about the spelling bee was funny too. I was the runner-up for the 4th grade spelling bee and I still remember the word I missed: entrepreneur. I don't think I'll ever mis-spell that word again. Maybe that's why we were such good S1s :)

Liz and Kurt said...

Oh, yeah, and the whole hat phase thing is totally true. I was so shy and had acne, so I covered my face up with this stupid Mickey Mouse hat that I wore ALL THE TIME! I forgot about that, how funny. I prefer to believe that my fashion sense was just ahead of the times :)

Misty said...

Liz, you trend-setter!


My photo
Welcome! I'm a thirty-something mom, Army Officer & Army Wife currently stationed in Germany with my Soldier and beautiful baby girl. I love baking, traveling, shopping, being with my family, and all things red and CHOCOLATE. The Army life is a crazy one and brings forth new challenges and experiences every day, but we are sustained by our faith as well as the love and support of our family and friends. Hope you enjoy following along on our adventures!



Better Together








4th of July (5) Airborne School (2) anna (2) anniversary (3) apron swap (2) Army (25) Army Wives (1) arts and crafts (1) asian pacific (1) Auntie Jewel (1) Austria (1) babies (1) baby (145) baby dedication (1) baby gifts (1) baby packing list (1) baby shower (9) baby stuff (1) bakeries (1) baking (1) barbecues (2) bavaria (1) beaches (1) BeautiControl (1) beer (2) beer festival (1) being sick (2) biking (1) birthday (7) black friday (1) blasts from the past (4) blog awards (8) blog design (1) Blog Hop (1) Blog Party (1) blog swaps (5) bloggy friends (3) books (2) breastfeeding (1) care packages (1) cars (1) castle (2) catching up (1) celebrity visits (1) Chester the Bulldog (7) chili cookoff (1) chocolate (5) Chrissy (6) Christmas (23) christmas card (1) Christmas Markets (5) church (2) citizenship (1) Colorado (2) Colorado Springs (3) cooking (2) cooking blog (2) corn maze (1) coyotes (1) crafts (1) crocs (1) D-Day (2) dance (2) dance class (2) date night (1) daycare (3) deployment challenges (1) deployments (4) diaper bag (1) doctor's visit (3) dogs (6) drink dispenser (1) Dual Military (3) easter (11) easter markets (6) easter tree (2) El Paso (3) england (1) euro (1) Europe (23) Europe Travel Flashbacks (1) fall (6) family (7) family visits (24) farewells (1) farmer's market (1) Fasching (2) father's day (2) favorites (1) festivals (5) Fil-Am (2) Fill In the Blank Friday (11) Finch Family (15) fireworks (1) first car (1) first week (1) Five Question Friday (2) flea market finds (1) Flip Flop Swap (5) Follow Me Chickadee Friday (2) followers (1) football (1) Fort Bliss (2) France (6) Friday Follow (8) Friday Photo Flashback (8) friends (34) friends' birthdays (1) fruehlingfest (2) fun with family (4) fun with friends (16) funny videos (6) Garden of the Gods (1) Garmisch (1) Germany (70) Getting to Know You Sundays (21) girl's weekend (1) giveaways (9) good friends (2) Grafenwoehr (3) grandma (2) grandpa jim (1) grow (1) growth (1) growth milestones (24) guilty pleasures (1) Hachi (1) Halloween (5) Hard Times (1) having fun (3) high chair (1) hobbies (1) holiday traditions (4) holidays (8) house (4) housing (1) Hunger Games (1) ice skating (1) Jack Johnson (1) jewelry (1) Jim Caviezel (2) jon and jolene (2) Josh and Kim (1) Joy (1) karate kid (1) Ladies Lunch (4) lady bugs (5) Lazy Sundays (1) learning (1) locked out (1) lodging (1) London (4) love (2) love of food (13) Lucy (15) ludwigsburg (1) Manitou Springs (1) mardi gras (1) masks ludwigsburg (1) McCrillis Family (1) Meilenwerk (1) Melody (1) melting pot (1) memorial day (4) memories (1) Mom (3) mom and dad (8) Mother's Day (2) motherhood (2) movies (6) moving (1) munich (1) music (3) new car (1) new year (3) Normandy (5) Notre Dame (1) nursery (2) Old Colorado City (1) old photos (2) olympic games (1) ornaments (1) osama bin laden (1) packages (2) palace (1) parties (2) Patch Barracks (3) PCS (3) picture-taking (2) pinterest (1) poems (1) poland (2) pottery (2) potty training (1) prague (2) praise (1) pregnancy (18) promotion (1) pumpkin patch (2) pumpkins (1) PX (2) races (1) random facts about me (19) randomness (8) reading (2) Real Housewives of NJ (1) recipes (5) Regensburg (3) reunions (1) Rittersport Chocolate Factory (1) roman baths (1) royal wedding (1) Salamasina (1) Salzburg (1) Samoa (3) santa (2) Saturdays (1) Schonbuch Brauhaus (2) school (1) shoes (1) shopping (1) shutterfly (1) sick days (2) sledding (1) sleepover (1) Soldiers (1) Spring (1) Spring Bazaar (2) springtime (2) stone henge (1) Strasbourg (4) Stuttgart (23) summer (3) summer fun (4) summer leave (1) Sundays (2) Sunshine Project (4) surveys (3) sweets (1) Ten on Thursday (1) Ten on Tuesday (14) Texas (5) thanksgiving (5) thanskgiving (1) Thursday Five (17) toddler talk (1) toys (3) travel (7) traveling (16) Tubingen (1) tuesday tag-along (1) Twilight (1) Utah (4) vacation (3) Vaihingen (2) Vaimalu (82) Vaiosina (132) Valentine's Day (1) venice festival (1) Volksfest (1) Waldenbuch (2) war (1) weekend (5) weekend fun (2) weekends (3) windsor castle (1) wine festival (4) winter (2) wordful wednesday (4) Wordless Wednesdays (10) work (11) workouts (1) year recap (1) zoo (3)

Blog Design By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Designs By Krista

I'm In The...


I'M A MIL SPOUSE!


MilitarySpouseBlogs

Learn German!

Either scripts and active content are not permitted to run or Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.0 or greater is not installed.

Get Adobe Flash Player
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved