All I can say is that I am so glad that Malu is here to support me through this. Could you imagine how much more freaked out I'd be if he hadn't returned from Iraq early? Oh my goodness, I'd be a wreck. He is determined to have me give birth naturally (vice a c-section) and is helping me by "forcing" me to do all kinds of exercises to get the baby to turn on her own. So tonight, I was on all fours with my butt in the air three different times for 20 minutes each. And each time, he laid there right with me, making me laugh and helping me through the discomfort of it all.
Anyway, I figured that while we're on the topic of our baby girl in the first place that I'd finally take the time to give you guys some background on her name, as some people have been asking me about it.
When I told my parents what her name was going to be, my dad was ecstatic. I mean, he's Samoan and he loves the fact that we had chosen a Samoan name. My mom found every reason to not pronounce the name correctly despite how many times I said it...and I think it was because she wanted us to give her a more "common" name. She actually wanted me to name her "Isabella" which is a beautiful name. Unfortunately, for Malu and I, it held no meaning and we'd always known that we were going to give her a powerful Samoan name, as a way to preserve our culture.
Vaiosina (pronounced VIE-OH-SEE-NAH), according to my husband, translates into "Sina's pond or pool." And there just happens to be a story in Samoan mythology entitled "Sina and the Eel" that explains the origins of the first coconut tree. As you know, the coconut is a staple throughout all of Polynesia and is not just important as a food, it is used for oil, baskets, building houses and so much more.
There are several variations of this story, but I particularly like this version from Wikipedia:
On the island of Savai'i in Samoa, there was a beautiful girl named Sina who had a small pet eel (in this version...they use the word 'Tuna' and 'Eel' interchangably...as 'Tuna' is the Samoan word for 'Eel'). When the eel grew, it fell in love with Sina and she became afraid. When she tried to run away, the eel followed her. So she sought refuge in a village and when she thought she was safe, she went to the village pool to get some water. But when she looked into the pool, the eel was there, staring up at her.
There are pictures that depict this great story, such as this one by Sheila Lamb. This picture was found at http://www.sheilalamb.com/.
And she became angry. And when she did, she cried "you stare at me with eyes like a demon!" and the village chiefs came to the pool and killed the eel. As it died, the eel asked Sina to plant its head in the ground and when she did, a coconut tree grew.
When you remove the husk from a coconut, there are three round marks that appear like the face of an eel (see above). Two of those round marks are solid...for the eyes, and one is soft and can be pierced so that you can drink from the coconut. That soft mark represents the eel's mouth...so when Sina would drink from the coconut, it was like she was kissing the eel.
And that's the story!
But the cooler part is that the village pool where eel found Sina? Well, that pool is located on Malu's grandma's family land in Samoa--which is why the name has such significance to Malu's family.
And would you believe that once Malu told my mom this story, all of a sudden, she could pronounce Vaiosina's name without any problems. Go figure.
And there you have it. Please keep us in your prayers. Being a first-time mom, this procedure has me a little worried, but I know that we'll be okay. I promise to keep you guys in the loop!









11 comments:
Lol @ your mom "magically" being able to pronounce baby's name after hearing the story. So funny lol. That's a beautiful name and a beautiful story. It's so cool when names have a meaning behind them. I'll be posting the meaning behind Julius' name soon.
Also, good luck with turning baby! I know it all sounds VERY scary but labor is really not as bad as everyone says. Just try to remember that as bad as it seems, it won't last forever. And the end result is SO worth it! I'm so excited for you to meet your baby girl and so glad that Malu is back to be with you (slightly jealous too hahaha).
xx
Love the picture of you and your husband!!!! so cute!! Good luck with turning the baby.
beautiful name with a great story!
What a great story :)
I've never heard of that procedure before, I would probably be scared too. I do know that my son didn't flip to the head down position until around 38 weeks though and he didn't drop into place until a day or two before I went into labor. Babies are weird, they do things all on their own time :)
great story and WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME :) So special and so strong! good luck w/ baby turning, all will be fine. All things throughout pregnancies are scary, huh? Hang in there, it's all worth it when you see that baby girl and hold her for the very first time...GOOD LUCK :)
I love the story behind her name! It is beautiful, the name and the story!
Good luck with getting her to turn around! I am sending prayers and positive thoughts to you and your growing family!!
xoxo
Beautiful story and love the name you picked out! I can imagine your relief to have Malu here with you during these last weeks. Best of luck with turning the baby! You look beautiful!
Yes, I can imagine how much better you feel with having him there with you! Good luck with everything dear and I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know how everything goes!
Oh my goodness...that baby may be here a little earlier than you expected!! I will be praying for you and for that baby to flip!! I love your baby name and story behind it!
You will definetly be in my prayers! Hopefully all those "fun" little exercises will do the trick! I'm glad Malu is there with you to share all these things!
I love that name! So pretty!!!
My name actually means goddess of the river severn. There is a story along with it too. It's fun to have a name with some uniqueness and meaning! I'm so happy for you!
Oh! No! I thought I left my comment correctly! But I will try to do this again...if I can remember! haha
It has been a bit, but I wanted to stop and say hello! I was going through my old posts and wanted to catch up on some great bloggers like yourself. My hubby and son are at a friend's watching UFC, so I get some "guilt-free" blog reading time. :o)
What a great photo of the "three" of you! You two are such a beautiful couple!
Blessings & Aloha!
If you get a chance to stop by, I would love to share a few of our son's songs with ya!
Post a Comment